Monday, January 7, 2013

Teaching Young Women's

So on Sunday I taught the very first lesson with the new curriculum that we have for the youth.  I was really scared being the first one to teach, since my ward wasn't doing any training beyond what the church website provided I freaked myself out.  How are you supposed to teach a lesson if you don't even know guidelines to doing it.  Luckily my mom-in-law's ward had multiple training's and since she is also in the Young Women's, she invited me to one of her training classes.  I'm so glad that I went.  It really helped me as I prepared my lesson.  Which by the way was a week long preparation not a night before deal like I used to do.

Anywho the whole reason I brought this up is because my girls along with myself made it through the lesson!  Wohoo.  However I do have one regret :(  I was asking one of the girls a question about a scripture we read.  I unfortunately was not articulating myself very well which confused her and most likely made her feel awkward.  It wasn't until one of the leaders spoke up and told her that it's a confusing scripture and it's okay if she doesn't understand it.  Well duh!  Why didn't I think of telling her that!  So to my young women, I'm really sorry that I made it awkward.  I vow to be better and it's probably a good thing that I don't teach again until May.  Lot's of preparing coming my way :)

Now if you are wondering what lesson I taught you can find it here.  I decided to teach on "How can I know my Heavenly Father?"  I loved the lesson and I learned a lot as well.  At the end of class I challenged the girls along with myself to pray morning and night and study the scriptures.  I know it is kind of a tall order if this is not already a habit, but I truly know that if we all make this part of our daily habit that we will come to know our Heavenly Father better.  What a wonderful thought that is.  Who wouldn't want to know him better?  I also showed a video that when I watched it, it gave me the goose bumps.  Which I know was the spirit telling me that the girls needed to watch this video over the other one.  I hope in any way that my girls got something out of the lesson and that they will continue working on building a relationship with their Heavenly Father.
Oh and in case you wanted to watch it as well here is the video.  It's good I promise.


If you need to take anything away from this post take these two thoughts.  First, it's okay to make mistakes as long as we can recognize and learn from them.  Second, we need to come to know our Heavenly Father better and some of the best ways to achieve this is by praying to him and studying the scriptures.  

No comments: