Thursday, October 31, 2013

Things to learn

Why does nobody tell you as you are growing up or when you get your first job or start going to school or when you get married that, "hey if you are ever wanting to buy a house you better start saving now!"  "It's going to cost you a whole lot just to even sign the papers!"  "Then you are going to have a payment."  "So yeah start saving those pennies now because buying a house will take it all!"
I wish I was told all of that (well I guess I knew some of it, but not all) so that I could've had a pretty penny set aside just for the lovely costs.  I would've had a different account that said Future Home in 30 yrs. (because it probably would've taken that long on the measly amount that I made.)  Then if you got lucky you would have married someone that had the same kind of account with another pretty penny.  Then you would have two pretty penny's and you would be set! :)
Well all of this advice would have been nice, but it didn't happen that way and instead we are trying to roll with the punches & figure it all out as we go.  Good thing Chase has a good job :)  So instead of continuing to wish that I had a stash of money set aside just for a house, I'll look to the future and start saving for the next time that we decide to buy a house.  That way it wont be such a shock to my system :) (hopefully)

Now this is only one thing out of a big bucket that you need to know as an adult.  Next up we need to learn more about retirement (we know to be setting aside money, but how much and all of that jazz is still a little shaky).  We also need to learn about investments and stocks & bonds and stuff because to be honest I'm a little clueless when it comes to this topic.  I know I had a class in high school that covered it a little bit but come on, I was 16.  Did they really think I would remember?  Well I didn't!  Then we need to learn some more about more of whats in the big bucket.  Gee, that's a lot of learning we have.  Guess we better get started.

1 comment:

Kathy said...

After you get all this stuff figured out pass it on to me! I'm still trying to figure it all out too. Pretty confusing stuff if you ask me. Good luck with the house!