Friday, August 30, 2013

House Hunting Not For the Weak

Chase and I decided that once we moved out here we were going to buy a house.  This is in part due to the fact that rent is so expensive.  So we got it all figured out with a lender on how much we qualified for and then met with our real estate agent.  We looked at 4 houses on Friday and then 3 the following Monday.  The last house we saw we loved.  It had the garage (5 car, 2 attached & 3 detached), the yard that we wanted (2.5 acres for our kids to have room to play in our own yard) and the house was great.  We got all excited and told both of the parents.  Of course it wasn't official but hey if we were going to write an offer than you might as well think of it as your house, right.  Well that night I kept waking up in the middle of the night and just wasn't excited about it anymore, and I couldn't picture us raising our family there.  I asked Chase how he felt about the house the next morning and he was still excited about it.  So I planned on moving forward and in my head I figured that if it's not meant to be then they won't accept our offer or something else will keep us from getting it.
That night Chase and I were discussing the house, since I had the melancholy feeling towards it.  This is when we had the brilliant idea to uh write out our budget.  A rough but close estimate.  We came to the conclusion that yes we could afford the house but no we didn't want to afford it.  Can you say reality check!  I still feel so dumb that we didn't have the novel idea to do that before looking at houses.  We have said all along that we don't want to be house poor.  However when the lender told us what we were approved for and then said but you can go this much higher, I think that made our brains think oh ok, so that means what were being approved for wont make us house poor.  Wrong-o!  At least now we know!  Good thing we all learn from our mistakes and we will know for next time :)  Ugh still feel dumb though.
Ok so we let our agent know that we didn't want to make an offer but told her we still wanted to meet with her to revise our plan.  She was afraid that we were just having buyers remorse before even buying the house since it's a big decision.  Rest assured it's not buyers remorse.  It's we want to be smart with our money.  Maybe a better way to put it would be, we want a house but we don't want to only own a house.  We want to be able to do other things as well :)
So onward we go with a whole new plan and a brand new slate of houses.  The house will probably be small and the yard tiny with a normal garage and in an area we hadn't considered before, but it will be our home!
Oh and I have to put this little rant in.  Pinterest is probably the worst invention ever.  Don't get me wrong though because I do love it and I pin things all the time.  However!  A lot of pinterest gives false hopes.  This is for sure a fact with me and houses.  I wish and wish and dream of having all of the qualities that I love on houses.  But let's be honest in order to get everything you want you would probably have to build the house yourself!  Plus it would probably end up being a million dollar house, and who has that kind of money for their first home.  Every pin I see that has to do with houses is not a cheap little home, because of course nobody dreams about what their starter home will look like.  We all dream about the home that we want!  Ok I'm done.

Yes this is what I dreamed about my first home being like.  P.S. I had Chase make this picture for me for work a long time ago.  It's what motivated me all wrapped up in one picture.  I had it as my desk top picture so I could see it every day!  To sum it up what motivated me was Chase having graduated, which meant he would have a job so I could quit mine, we could then buy our first home, he could have his Porsche, we could buy a dog and start our family!!!  Oh how grand it would be to get exactly what we want!  I do want to add though that just because I'm not getting a dream house doesn't mean that I'm not getting what we have been working towards!  He's graduated, I'm no longer working because I have to, he has a job, he has a car which he can restore, and the rest is still on it's way. 

No comments: