Thursday, August 22, 2013

Me? Talk! What?

Ok so last week I was snagged, and I was asked to give a talk in sacrament.  They got me so fast.  Anyway  I have my sneaky suspicions as to why.  It just so happened to be the same day that I put the following quote on facebook.
"Your mind is a cupboard, and you stalk the shelves" 
-President Monson

So I got that quote from when Chase and I taught sunday school, two weeks ago.  I think it's a really great quote so I wanted to share it.  Go here to watch the video I got the quote from. 
Well I'm friends with the Relief Society President on facebook and her husband is in the bishopric, and he's the one that called me.  Since she liked my post I think it was passed on to him to call me to speak, and that's my theory and I'm sticking to it. :)

Ok so the topic I was given was "We believe in being Honest."  Ugh I kind of panicked a little bit because that can go in any direction.  It took me all week to finally decide on where I wanted to go with it.  I was also planning on just writing down the points that I wanted to talk about and then "wing it" rather than writing out my entire talk.  Well that started stressing me out too much so I ended up just writing the entire thing.  I wish I was better at speaking so that I didn't have to write out my whole talk, but that's not how my brain works.  However I should be really good at giving talks or speaking because I like to talk a lot.  Now that's something interesting to think about.  When being asked to speak in sacrament, we are usually asked with the phrases of "Would you be willing to speak on Sunday?" or "Would you be willing to give a talk on Sunday?"  Hum.....  I guess technically all that we are being asked to do is get up there and talk about our topic.  AND.... since all of us know how to talk and speak than we should all be pros right? ;)  All we need to do is know our subject and just get up there and talk.  It shouldn't matter if we flow right?  Since we weren't asked to speak flowingly or give a flowing talk.   Hum........ food for thought :)


While I was "reading" my talk on Sunday I felt bad because we left the last lady 20 minutes.  The youth speaker right before me finished in 2 minutes and since I wrote everything out I couldn't stretch it.  At least that's what my head told me, ha.  I always hate how after you finish and you feel like you could've done better.  I have felt that way every since.  At least I have a really nice ward and hubby who have been telling me good job, and that their kids really liked the stories I told.  I guess if that's who I was supposed to touch than woohoo, mission accomplished!  The kids know stories of being honest :) 

Now that I'm done with speaking we are just waiting for the day that they ask Chase.  He'll do a marvelous job, so hopefully they get him soon.  Were also waiting for the day that we get a calling.  We've heard that the ward likes to give callings, so the anticipation is kinda killing me.  Maybe my talk was their way of deciding where to put me, haha.  Even though I know it doesn't happen this way I picture it kind of like the tv show The Voice.  All of the "judges" are just waiting to hear what comes out of my mouth before deciding if they want me on "their team" or not haha.  

Ok ok a topic like this shouldn't have been as long as I made it.  All you need to know is that I spoke in church on Sunday and I was nervous.  The end.  

3 comments:

Kathy said...

You are awesome! The end! :)

Laurie said...

I'll bet you did a great job, wish I could have been there to hear it! The end!

Heidi Coole said...

How I miss you! Love your post. I'm sure you did so much better then you feel!