Friday, August 2, 2013

One tourist stop, 2 days

So since we spent so much time at the Henry Ford Museum and The Greenfield Village, I figured that I should add all of the pictures.

We wanted to see both the museum and the village so we bought our pricey passes to both but didn't realize that each would take so much time and would wear us out.  So the first day we went to the museum and spent over 4 hours there!  There is so much to see, and we didn't even look at everything, let alone read everything.  They had everything from planes, cars, trains, machines, jewelry, furniture, factory things, farm equipment, stuff on slavery and presidents, and stuff on the world fairs.  It was pretty cool.


I love the old signs.

It was fun reading about the President's cars and how they would change things.  Oh and the bullet proof windows on the cars are crazy thick.  On each car they would tell how the President died.  Well I don't remember which President but the shooter originally missed and hit the car, but because the car was bullet proof it bounced off and hit the President.  Woops.




The evolution of race cars :)

Um I think Semi's have evolved into much larger beasts.



Whhaaaat crazy!  They had a thing on Chase's job ;)


A helicopter.






A steam engine.  This thing was huge!

How would you like living in a house that was round?  It's called the Dymaxion House and this is the very last one.  The whole time we were walking through the house I felt like we were on a boat.






This airplane flew more than 12 million miles in 83,032 hours.  It used 550 tires & 25,000 spark plugs.  It went through 136 engines and consumed almost 9 million gallons of gas.  The plane also taxied over 100,000 miles.  This plane had spent the most time in the air but it's record has since been broken by another plane. 



Something to do with the train.


Another engine for something big :)

I had on green shorts so I was disappearing into the picture.  I thought it was so funny that I didn't want to share with the young kids haha. 



The next day we went to the Greenfield Village and spent a few hours there as well.  This village was originally something private and then he opened it up to the public and made it much bigger!  I think almost every building was brought from it's original standing ground.  They would take the buildings apart and bring them to the village and rebuild them just like they were.  There are houses and building from all over the world!  The village is also home to the Henry Ford Academy, which is a charter high school.  Chase said if we lived down in that area that we would send our kids to that high school.  What a great place to get your mind thinking.  I think there is also a middle school that's attached to the museum.  Oh and there's a chapel in the village that's called the Martha-Mary Chapel and if I'm remembering right Ford built it for his mom and his wife.  Anyway you can get married in this particular chapel, but theres currently a 2 year waiting list!  Yikes.  It sounds cool though because you can do your whole wedding at the village and after you are married they take you in a horse drawn carriage or a Model T.  Fun, fun.  All of the buildings were really cool but my favorite part of the whole day was watching three men make a glass cup.  It was so cool.  I think if we lived down in that part of Michigan I'd try getting a job there.  Maybe I could be in charge of driving the horse carriage, or working on the farm or garden, or making the old fashioned food, or riding the bicycle around all day.  Good thing we don't live down there though, because if I did work there I'd have to work the weekends, and we all know how much I hate working weekends.  Sure looks like fun though. 











I know, I know you just saw some of these pictures, but I had to include them since it was a post about the museum and the village. 

So even though it was cool to see it all, we decided not to get a season's pass since it's not close to us and we wont ever go again unless somebody wants to go.  Besides there is so much more that we need to do and see :)  We have an entire state to see and we can't forget about the fact that we can get to a bunch of other states in a shortish drive.  I mean Chicago is 4.5 hours away, Palmyra is 5.5 hrs, Kirtland is 3.5 hrs, Nauvoo is 8 hrs and Niagara Falls is 4 hrs.  Plus we need to visit Canada which is nice and close :)  Then come January Ohio will be calling our name a lot!!!! :)  Which will only be 4.5 hrs as well.  
ADVENTURE IS OUT THERE! :)


1 comment:

Kathy said...

Love the village and the museum. We might need to go to them!